All you need to know when choosing your first car seat
Let's start with the basics:
- Did you know that it’s against the law for a baby to travel in the car without car seat? Even during that first trip home from the hospital it is not allowed;
- A baby car seat makes you feel confident about your baby’s safety;
- It’s recommended not to buy a second-hand car seat, but to buy a brand new one instead. This way, you’ll be 100% sure that no incidents have happened to it in the past;
- Installing your car seat with an ISOFIX base, makes the installation of your car seat easier;
- Maxi-Cosi offers different pushchairs that attach to the baby car seat, for a complete travel system.
Which car seat to choose?
If you want your baby to travel facing the rear up to 9 months, have a look at our baby car seats, like our CabrioFix. For outmost convenience, check out Coral. First-of-its-kind, this car seat can be used from birth up to 12 months and includes a detachable lightweight carrier with ergonomic inlay. If you are planning on using your baby car seat up to 12 months, you’ll need to look for an i-Size car seat, for example our Marble or Pebble Pro.
For added flexibility, a convertible baby/toddler car seat could be the right option for you. This car seat can be used up to approx. 4 years and can switch from rear- to forward-facing travel once your little one turns 9 months old. See our new Mica and AxissFix, for instance.
Rearward travelling is key!
The current law on car seat legislation (R44) insists your baby on facing the rear for at least 9 months, whereas the latest safety regulation i-Size (R129) recommends rearward-facing travel until at least 15 months. Experts even advise 4 years, because your baby’s neck will be better protected in case of a crash.
You options for your first baby car seat:
- Baby car seat: suitable from birth up to 13 kg (R44 regulation)
- i-Size baby car seat: suitable from birth to 9-12 months (R129 i-Size regulation)
- Multi-age car seat: from birth to approximately 7 years
- Your baby can travel rearward-facing in the convertible baby/toddler car seat for the entire period of 4 years
Your baby can travel rearward-facing in the convertible baby/toddler car seat for the entire period of 4 years.
Which installation options are there?
Besides all of these options, there are also different options on how to install your car seat into your car. Install your baby car seat, using an ISOFIX base, for easy Click & Go installation. Or choose to use your car’s seat belt instead, in case your car does not have ISOFIX anchorage points. Find out more about ISOFIX and seat belt installation to understand what’s the best solution for you.
There are many things to consider when it comes to choosing a car seat. Already found a product that fits your needs? Or simply still in doubt? Use our Maxi-Cosi car seat tool to discover which model best fits your soon-to-be-bigger family.