How to choose the right highchair
Starting on solids is a significant milestone for you and your baby. As well as discovering new tastes and textures, this special family time also marks a critical phase for social development. Babies love being part of the family when you sit together at the table. They will watch and copy as you eat. And that can make it much easier for them to get to grips with the new skills they need to learn.
To make sure your baby is comfortable and safe at mealtimes, you need to choose the right highchair. Here’s what you need to look out for:
- Look for a sturdy harness: A sturdy and comfortable safety harness will keep your baby safe and secure as they eat or play, giving you peace of mind.
- Find an easy-to-clean highchair, preferably one with a removable tray. First dinners can be a messy business, so look for easy-clean designs and washable covers. Don’t forget, when they’re not eating your toddler can use the tray for scribbling, jigsaws and games too.
- Get them nice and comfortable: your baby will enjoy eating with you much more if they’re comfy. Look for a highchair with a sturdy back and a footrest to keep their feet supported. A padded seat or cushion is ideal too. A reclining position is useful for smaller babies so they can join in with family mealtimes even before they start weaning.
- Choose a highchair that grows with your baby: Your baby grows quickly, but switching to kneeling on an adult chair or sitting too low at the table can mean disrupted meals for toddlers. Save money in the long run by looking for a height-adjustable highchair that can adapt to fit as your baby grows. That way you can be sure they are always sitting at the right height to join in family mealtimes.
- Find a highchair that suits your space: If you’re short on space, look for a highchair with a compact fold for when it’s not in use. And buy one made from premium materials that will look good in your home and will last.
Getting your baby ready for a highchair
You can use a highchair with a reclining position and snug inlay so even the smallest babies can sit with you at the table. When they start to sit up by themselves, usually when they are around six to eight months old, it’s time to start thinking about using a highchair for meal times and play.
Our top pick Maxi-Cosi highchair
The Maxi-Cosi Minla highchair is a seat for newborns, highchair for babies, booster for toddlers & stool for older children that’s been cleverly designed to make every mealtime easier. You can choose from nine settings to customise the height of the Minla to fit your table and adjust as your child grows. The seat can also be removed and used as a booster for older children or when you are away from home. Other handy features include a removable, easy wipe tray and a space-saving, compact fold. There’s even a choice of recline positions and a washable padded cover, to ensure mealtimes are as comfortable as possible too.